Refine and develop practical strategies to help cultivate and maintain your inner peace.
GRETCHEN C. REIMERT
Attorney & Public Speaker
7789 Arundel Mills Blvd Apt 401
Hanover, MD 21076
Maryland Legal Aid Bureau, Inc. Baltimore, MD
Attorney / Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project November 2010 – present
Represent low-income Maryland homeowners at foreclosure mediation, and continue legal representation in state and federal court if appropriate when mediation is unsuccessful.
- Train consumer advocates statewide about developments in foreclosure law along with other industry developments, including the various loss mitigation options.
- Speak regularly at foreclosure prevention events sponsored by Congressional and state-elected representatives about the foreclosure process and how to prepare for mediation.
Housing Initiative Partnership, Inc. Hyattsville, MD
Attorney / Foreclosure Intervention Counselor August 2009 – November 2010
Provided group and one-on-one counseling for homeowners in default or facing imminent default.
- Educated clients about loss mitigation strategies and alternatives to foreclosure.
- Conducted regular community outreach through workshops.
- Represented agency at public hearings and as panel member at regional conferences.
Gretchen Reimert, Attorney San Diego, CA
Consulting Attorney / Legal Strategist June 2004 – August 2009
Assessed underlying dynamics and help private clients resolve disputes by clarifying their long-term goals, establishing common ground, and building strategic alliances.
- Devised strategy for executrix of multi-million dollar estate to break stalemate.
- Helped consultants extricate themselves from litigation with homeowners association.
- Supported grandparents in negotiating joint-custody arrangement with estranged parent.
City of Salinas, City Attorney’s Office Salinas, CA
Deputy City Attorney II March 1999 – July 2003
- Advised City Council, and all city departments on a myriad of municipal issues.
- Prepared legal documents including ordinances and resolutions, contracts, and legal memoranda for all levels of the organization.
- Worked with Housing Subcommittee to bring substandard housing up to code.
- Fostered a collaborative environment that enabled the city attorney’s office to serve as a strategic partner in all stages of project development.
- Served as primary legal advisor to municipal airport and airport commission.
- Advised Grievance Board and all departments on all labor and employment matters.
- Served as lead trial prosecutor for all criminal cases filed for municipal code violations from investigation through appeal.
- Through special appointment as deputy district attorney, enforced civil gang injunction.
California Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division One San Diego, CA
Associate Justice Richard D. Huffman – Judicial Extern January – May 1998
- Drafted civil and criminal appellate opinions for panel of justices.
District Attorney’s Office of San Diego County San Diego, CA
Gang Prosecution Unit/J.U.D.G.E. Unit – Certified Legal Intern August – December 1997
- Conducted preliminary hearings, and authored legal memoranda and pretrial motions for drug and gang related prosecutions.
United States Department of Justice – Criminal Division Washington, DC
Narcotic and Dangerous Drugs Section – Summer Law Clerk July – August 1997
- Authored complex memorandum for the United States Attorney’s Office analyzing double jeopardy clause.
- Drafted a section of a policy manual for federal prosecutors.
District Attorney’s Office for the City of Philadelphia Philadelphia, PA
Homicide Unit – Summer Law Clerk June – July 1997
- Assisted at all phases of a jury trial for murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
- Authored memorandum for the homicide division on the feasibility of prosecuting the parents of a missing infant for murder.
Public Defender of San Diego County San Diego, CA
Certified Legal Intern January – May 1997
- Represented indigent clients at felony arraignment and other legal proceedings.
MCI Telecommunications Corporation Arlington, VA
Financial Analyst July 1990 – May 1994
- As a strategic planner researched residential telecommunications industry, assessed regional and total market share, and managed special projects for developing markets.
- Consolidated revenue plan and profit and loss statements for business division.
- Supervised team implementing customized billing arrangements for national accounts.
- Directed collections activities on 60,000 small business accounts.
- Resolved outstanding monthly accounts receivables in excess of one million dollars.
Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA
Masters in Public Administration, June 2004
Methodological Area of Concentration: Leadership
University of San Diego, School of Law, San Diego, CA
Juris Doctor, May 1998
Elected to National Order of the Barristers, May 1998
USD National Moot Court Team and Moot Court Board, 1997-1998
Best Oral Advocate and Winner, 1998 California Moot Court Competition, Spring 1998
Best Oral Advocate runner-up, 8th Annual Nat’l First Amendment Competition, Spring 1998
Best Oral Advocate, USD Lou Kerig Criminal Law Moot Court Competition, Spring 1997
Best Oral Advocate and Finalist, USD Jessup Int’l Law Moot Court Competition, Fall 1996
American University, Kogod College of Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
B.S. in Business Administration: Concentration in Finance, May 1989
Board Member, Maryland Consumer Rights Coalition, January 2014 to present
Union President, Maryland Legal Aid Workers NOLSW UAW Local 2320, April 2014 to June 2015
State Bar of Maryland, since March 2013
State Bar of California, Bar Number 200357, active 1999-2013 (inactive since 2014)
MCLE Instructor, California District Attorneys Assoc. Civil Gang Injunction Workshop, May 2000
The Women’s Law Project, Philadelphia, PA, 1995